Looking for a skillet lasagna recipe that I could turn into a veggie dish, I decided to try a skillet zucchini lasagna. I’ve always seen zucchini lasagna ideas on Pinterest but was worried about the lasagna coming out soupy or watery. To cut down on the excess liquid, I used the mandolin to slice the zucchini and then boiled it with 1 tablespoon of salt for 5 minutes and then drained it on paper towels, pressing lightly to absorb as much moisture as possible. I also used a summer vegetable grilling blend of onions, peppers, and various squash that I boiled and drained and pressed between paper towels as well to reduce any excess liquid from using frozen vegetables. The lasagna come out phe-nom-enally well!
So here is the recipe
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced with a mandolin to your desired thickness.
- 12 oz sliced mushrooms
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons Spice ™ seasoning, you can also use any Italian seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large egg
- 8 ounces shredded Italian blend cheese
- 15-16 ounces part skim ricotta
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 cups of the tomato sauce of your choice
- 4 cups mixed vegetables – I used 2 16oz bags of frozen squash mix (if using frozen vegetables, cook them following the directions on the package, drain well, and pat dry with paper towels – drying them as much as possible. If using fresh vegetables, you will sauté them with the mushrooms (see step 5)
- Slice the zucchini using a mandolin slicer to your desired thickness.
- Add 1 Tablespoon salt to 4 cups boiling water, add Zucchini slices and boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini slices from the water and drain/pat dry on paper towels, drying them as much as possible.
- Add the frozen vegetable mix to the water and boil for 10 minutes (or what is specified on the package) and drain. If using fresh vegetables, skip to step 5.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil and add in the mushrooms and onions and sauté for 5 minutes. If you are using the fresh vegetables, sauté them in the skillet with the mushrooms and onions.
- While the vegetables are cooking, mix the ricotta, spice mixture, egg, and 4 ounces of the shredded cheese until well mixed.
- Mix the mushroom and onion mixture together and remove from skillet
- Add ½ cup tomato sauce to coat the entire bottom of the skillet
- Layer the contents in the skillet in the following order: ½ of the Zucchini slices, ½ ricotta mixture, ½ of the vegetable mixture, ½ remaining tomato sauce, then repeat.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese and sprinkle with more Spice™ or Italian seasoning and the red pepper flakes.
- Cook uncovered on the stove top on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 10 additional minutes.
- Let lasagna sit to cool a little and stiffen.
I split into my meal prep containers and got 6 decent sized portions for the week.
So, it sounds like a pain in the ass but it was actually really easy and worth it!