Trying to incorporate more plant based or vegetarian meals into your diet can be so much of a headache and on top of that if the meals are delicious or too expensive – you can hang everything up because you won’t stick to it. I sat down last week and decided to create a list of budget friendly meat free meals that I can incorporate into our weekly meal planning. It helps me and my husband by having a list of ready vegetarian or plant based budget friendly meals to choose from without me having to spend hours scouring Pinterest or the internet to find ideas.
So here are some of the choices we have written down to pull from:
- Hummus or Avocado on toast
- Sun butter on toast with fruit (my favorite)
- Oatmeal and fruit (see the recipe we love here)
- Chia pudding
- Egg and cheese breakfast sandwiches (my husband’s favorite, lactoovo vegetarian but still no red meat)
- Sweet earth or special K prepackaged breakfast sandwiches that are meat free
- Vegetable pasta salad
- Tuna salad sandwiches (pescatarian)
- Egg salad sandwiches (lactoovo vegetarian)
- Zucchini lasagna (lactoovo vegetarian) click here for the recipe
- Chili and baked beans using meatless crumbles (we love Gardein)
- Mushroom quesadillas
- Veggie pesto pasta
- Bean and rice burritos
- Ravioli (lactoovo vegetarian)
- Portabella cheesesteaks (just like regular cheesesteaks but without meat and tons of sautéed mushrooms) (lactoovo vegetarian)
- Veggie tacos with meatless grounds and beans
- Eggplant Parmesan (lactoovovegetarian)
- Grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup (Lacto-Ovo vegetarian)
- Macaroni and Cheese (lacto-ovo vegetarian)
- Fettuccini alfredo with mushrooms and broccoli (lacto-ovo vegetarian)
- Caprese calzones (lacto-ovo vegetarian)
- Baked crispy fish (pescatarian)
- Fish tacos (pescatarian)
- Salmon cakes (pescatarian)
- Burrito bowls with meatless grounds
And our snacks are always fruits or air popped popcorn.
So these are just some of the meals in our repertoire that we can pull from whenever we want to do a meatless Monday or a few meatless meals each week.
What are some of your faves?